The British High Commission in India is responsible for developing and maintaining relations between the UK and India.

Find out what services are available in Mumbai, Chennai, Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Goa, Chandigarh, Hyderabad, and Kolkata.

Black Line Break 660X5px

Urgent assistance

If you are in India and you urgently need consular assistance (e.g. if you have been attacked, arrested or there has been a death), call +91 (11) 2419 2100. If you are in the UK and concerned about a British national in India, contact us on 020 7008 1500.

Get an emergency travel document

You can apply for an emergency travel document if you are abroad and your passport has been lost or stolen, damaged or expired, and you cannot get a new or replacement passport in time to travel. See:

If you are due to travel in the next 24 hours, contact the British High Commission in New Delhi as soon as possible.

Apply online for an emergency travel document if you:

  • are over 16 years old and

  • are a British citizen and

  • have previously owned a British passport

Contact the High Commission to apply for an emergency travel document if you are:

  • over 16 years old but have not owned a British passport before or

  • not a British citizen or

  • applying for a child under 16 years old

Once you have contacted them, you will be advised to make an appointment to apply for an emergency travel document at British High Commission in New Delhi, here:!/british-high-commission-new-delhi/issuing-an-emergency-travel-document/slot_picker

Get a visa

The British High Commission cannot help with visa enquiries.

If you are not a British national, you may need a visa to travel to the UK. Check if you need a UK visa, here:

If you are a British national travelling abroad and need to apply for a visa to visit a particular country or check if you need a visa, see the entry requirements on our foreign travel advice for the country you want to visit, see:

For more information on visas, see UK visas and immigration, see:

Notarial and documentary services

For legal reasons, they are unable to carry out notarial acts in Commonwealth countries. This includes certifying documents as true copies of originals, administering oaths or taking affidavits. For these or other notarial acts, you should contact a local notary. A standard letter is available to confirm that they do not offer these services in India.

See the full list of documentary services we provide in India, here:

Local service providers

Use their list of local suppliers and services if you need help in India. Please note that inclusion in this list does not constitute official endorsement by the British High Commission or the UK Government.

How else they can help

In addition to the services listed above they can also:

  • provide information about transferring funds

  • provide appropriate help if you have suffered rape or serious assault, are a victim of other crime, or are in hospital

  • help people with mental illness

  • offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child abductions, missing people and kidnapping

  • contact family or friends for you if you want

  • make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters or other crises abroad

For more information on the services we can provide, see Support for British nationals abroad: A guide:

Consular fees

The British High Commission in New Delhi charge fees for some of their services. If you are paying in Indian Rupees they can only accept notes that are legal tender, not 500 and 1000 rupee notes that have been withdrawn from circulation. See the full list of consular fees in India, here:

Contact Form